Monday, September 1, 2008

Let's celebrate it

It starts tomorrow...Ramadan.

I have declared to several people, that I will try, but it was a week ago! Those declarations were easy to make, believe me. From tomorrow morning, before the Sun raises, they will have to become a reality. From 3:30 until 17:30 I will not eat or drink. Does it sound tough?

Smokers are not allowed to smoke. Put yourself in their shoes…!

I have read somewhere, that among Muslims who undertake a radical form of fasting during Ramadan, women are forbidden to have period. Overall, I must consider myself quite lucky. I am not addicted to nicotine and I am a man.

But don't get mislead. Ramadan doesn't have negative connotations for Muslim Arabs. On the contrary, everyone here is waiting for this as for the biggest fest. During the day restaurants will be closed, but with the dusk, the city will turn into a colourful gathering of happy people. Streets will be buzzing and gastronomic business will be in its zenith. Shops will full of sweets prepared only for this special occasion, which happens once in a year. And everyone will be eating…and eating a lot, because when the next day comes, after dawn, the whole story will start again. And this scheme will continue for one month.

People here say that it is healthy. I always thought, that it is unhealthy to devour before going to sleep and then not eat or drink for the entire day, when your body and mind need it most, to function effectively. Maybe I was wrong…

You won't know how something "tastes" unless you try it. One famous Polish anthropologist, Bronislaw Malinowski was getting to know cultures in more pleasant version of empiric way. Based on his experience he wrote The Sexual Life of Savages in North-Western Melanesia

Anyway, if so many people can fast in Ramadan, why couldn't I do it for once in my life? Can you imagine my CV, under Personal Achievements:

Fasted for a month in Ramadan


No comments: